View at 1024x768
Underlined Text & Images are used for Hyper-Links to more Relevant Information
Last modified: March 02, 2004
Wordsworth House located on the Main Street of Cockermouth with the river Derwent flowing past at the rear was built in 1745 for the Sheriff of Cumberland.
John Wordsworth a trained lawyer moved into the property owned by his employer in 1766 whom he represented on political and business matters, making him an important if not wealthy member of the local community.
William the second of the five children Ann gave birth to was born in 1770 followed by Dorothy the only girl in 1771, who were all cared for by a modest number of household staff.
The home rescued from demolition by a local community group, was past to the National Trust in 1938 who maintain it and the grounds to an eighteenth century standard. The attending staff dressed in period costume also offer a fine assortment of home baked treats in the kitchen.
Dove Cottage in Grasmere and Rydal Mount are two other sites linked to William Wordsworth.
Bassenthwaite Lake has a horse racing past that was assigned to the history books for obvious reasons long ago. John Pocklington an eccentric resident of Keswick who built the Chapel at the Bowder Stone in Borrowdale held the races in the lake.
The entrants in the race were attached to a floating pontoon and towed to the centre of the lake, the horses were released and the winner was the first horse to reach the shore.
We hope you will bookmark us to Watch This Space grow
This Web Site was Created
without Banner or Pop Ups Adverts
by Northern Walker