View at 1024x768

Lakeland Fells
Summer Events
The Langdales
Cumbrian Pennines
Cumbrian Coast
Tourist Info


Copyright 2004
Underlined Text & Images are used for Hyper-Links to more Relevant Information

Last modified: March 02, 2004

Windermere - The Longest Lake

Cruise on Lake Windermere

Starting from Waterhead at the north Brockhole, Bowness or Lakeside at the south end of the lake     Tel: 015394-433-60

Windermere Steamboat Museum        Tel: 015394-455-65

Lakeside Aquarium & Steam Railway

In the village of Lakeside at the south end of Lake Windermere, near Newby Bridge is the end station of the rail link with Haverthwaite. At this location which provides ample parking while on a Lake Cruise or Steam Train Ride is an Freshwater Aquarium of underwater life. Restaurant and Tearoom with Gift Shop.  Tel: 015395-315-94

Holker Hall

Guided walks through the Deer Park  between April and October and includes the Lakeland Motor Museum including Bluebird one of Donald Campbell's Record Breaking vehicles, he died in 1967 on Coniston  Water making an attempt on the water speed record, the original boat has just been discovered and raised from the depths of the lake..  Tel: 015395-583-28

Stott Park Bobbin Mill

Originally built in 1835 to supply bobbins to the weaving industry of the 19th century the mill is driven by a steam engine coupled with a water turbine which is powered from a man made lake, a short walk up behind the mill. The mill is a fully operational working museum operated by the English Heritage during the summer months.

Two other mills are still in operation and open to view in the area, Gleaston Watermill dates back to 1774 which has an 18 foot (5M) waterwheel which still drives the mill via the original wooden gear wheels and the Heron Corn Mill at Beetham on the A6 Highway south of Kendal and is open daily except Monday through the summer.


Beatrix Potter is brought alive at Bowness with Peter Rabbit in a classic attraction for young and old.   Tel: 015394-88-444 

Cartmel / Grange over Sands

There are two Race Meetings at Cartmel each year on the smallest National Hunt Track in Britain where horse racing has a tradition since 1845. Nearby at and Grange over Sands, which got it's name from the Augustinian monks from Furness Abbey at Ulverston having a granary (grange) here and was a popular Edwardian resort with visitors arriving by steamboats and latterly by rail.


Ulverston was mentioned in the Doomsday Book written for William the Conquer in 1066, the lighthouse like monument on a hill by the town is a monument Sir john Barrow, founder of the royal Geographical Society and Artic Explorer.

Another famous Ulverston man was Stan Laurel born in 1890, who was later to teamed up with Oliver Hardy. His father was in show business and later move the family to North Shields on the river Tyne where he managed a theatre.

There is a Museum to Stan portrays their working life together and shows newsreels and films all day.

We hope you will bookmark us to Watch This Space grow

Northwest & Coast Lakeside Hotels Guest Houses Country Cottages Parkland Camps  
Southwest & Furness Fell Top Hotels Guest Houses Country Cottages Parkland Camps  


This Web Site was Created without Banner or Pop Ups Adverts by Northern Walker
Please report any Problems or Enquiries to:    

Copyright 2004 Northern Walker, All Rights Reserved.